Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bipolar Budget

I was re-adjusting the budget and explaining it to S, when he said "you are very bipolar with the budget aren't you". That statement took me by surprised and I actually felt a bit offended, until I saw he was right.

The way I've done the budget for the past, ummm, 18 years, was to figure out how much I wanted to spend in each catagory and budget that amount. I would then figure that if the incoming money came short of the outgoing money we would just find it 'somewhere'. Usually the money does appear, from overtime or comissions or GST rebates or whatever.

S's comment made me look hard at the actual numbers I was putting into Excel and I saw that the outgoing amounts were four hundred dollars more than the incoming! So I re-did the numbers to put smaller payments on the credit cards and other debt and now the incoming is a tad more than the outgoing. The sucky thing is at that pace it will take two years to pay off all of the debts, not including S's student loans. At least it's realistic now.

And, I wanted to buy a new couch soooooooooo badly, but then really heard my sons say their mattresses were crap. I sat on their beds and my butt was greeted with lumpy springs and sagging edges. So now any money not budgeting in (commissions, GST, overtime) will go into a savings account and the first thing we will buy will be two mattress/box spring sets for the boys. Then a couch :)

Sigh. I've been trying to get out of debt for 18 years. Hopefully I'm mature enough to have learned my lessons and will finally pay it off. Luckily, S feels the same way I do.

My huge goal is to build a house, but that won't happen until my boys move out. At least the rent here is cheap, it makes everything else easier.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I feel your frustration.

When I decided to end my 21 year marriage I took all the debt, which was a good bit more than yours!) and actually gave him the house with a Quit Claim Deed. You'll have to trust me, it was easier.

It took me about 4 years to get completely debt free. I cut back on everything, and I mean everything. I scrutinized every dollar I spent. When I shopped, I ended up putting back lots of stuff before I reached the cashier. I bargained and renegotiated interest rates with the credit card companies as often as they allowed, usually every 6 months. I started investing in my retirement with IRA's and Simple IRA's. I saved the down payment for my home. My plan is to have my mortgage paid off in 5 years, or less.

I can do it. I will do it.

You can do it. Will you do it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.