Thursday, March 27, 2008

EMPowerPlus

I'd been trying those EMPowerPlus vitamins as a way of controlling the Bipolar Disorder, but when I increased the dosage they made me sick :( So I stopped taking them completely and am now not on any medication at all.



This is the way I have been most of my life. Usually I'm able to control things enough not to make really stupid decisions or feel suicidal, so this is the way I'm going to be doing things for a while. I know my triggers, I know when an Up or Down is coming and I know how to get through them with minimal damage. I am adept at handling all this and have been all my life.



Keep in mind I've never been hospitalized because of mania and have never had any psychotic episodes. I'm not suicidal and never have been. I think I could define my Bipolar as 'light'. Irritating, yes, severe, no. At least I know I can get another psychiatrist appointment if I need one and S is very supportive about dealing with the Bipolar in a way that keeps me comfortable.



That was the biggest thing, the medications I tried actually decreased my quality of life. Now why would I want to do that? People try to tell me that I have to take medication and deal with the side effects. But why can't the Bipolar Disorder simply be a side effect of being me that I have to deal with instead?

2 comments:

JC said...

You are lucky that you experience Bipolar as "lightly" as you say you are, I mean, it's irritating yes, but it sounds like you have a good chance at having a normal/functional life most of the time. If you can get by without the meds, all the power to you!!! I totally would support that. There are many other ways of coping with various symptoms this illness besides medication. Lots of people need the meds, sure, but you know yourself the best so don't push yourself if you don't think it's right for you. One note about side effects- often, they go away over time and the positive effects stay as the negative effects leave. It can be a long process though. Anyway, keep on doing what you know is right for YOU, ok! :)

Mental Health Blog Research Group said...

Hello, we are researchers from The College of New Jersey interested in gaining information on the views of authors of mental health blogs. You have received this invitation because you are an author of such a blog. Participation will involve responding to surveys about your mental health and blogging habits. The results are completely confidential. No respondent’s personal identity will be requested or associated with any set of answers. We appreciate your time and help with our study and as a thank you for participating you will be entered into a prize draw. If you are interested or desire further information, please respond to mhblog@tcnj.edu and be sure to include a link to the home page of your blog as well as your preferred contact email address. The survey will be sent to you via email within the next few weeks. Thank you in advance for your participation!
--
Mental Health Blog Research Group
The College of New Jersey
mhblog@tcnj.edu