Friday, November 16, 2007

Side Effects

I was getting some weird side effects from lithium, like dizziness, rundown tired feeling and mild visual hallucinations. Or at least, I thought these were side effects. The doctor ordered normal bloodwork to be done (after I'd told her it was spring since the last time my lithium levels were checked) and discovered I'm anemic. We had the blood test repeated just to make sure, but the hemglobin levels were at 106 instead of 120. Now I take lovely little iron pills twice a day and those side effects have just disappeared :)

The energy from these pills was instant - I just couldn't believe it! I hate that I have to take pills for it instead of just adjust my diet, but if they work then that's good. I don't know what caused the iron to get so low in my blood, probably a combination of stress and poor diet. I used to have down time to myself every day to recharge a bit, but I haven't had that in almost a year. Maybe a day or an hour here and there but definately not on a regular basis.

The lithium seems to be working. My moods aren't as severe any more or as quick-changing. I've been keeping track of my moods, diet, sleep and stress for a while now and will have it printed up in chart form for the psychiatrist at the end of the month. I have S to thank for that, there were many days I couldn't be bothered to write anything down and he helped me keep it going.

No comments: