Monday, September 10, 2007

Words and psychiatrist

I'm reading a book written by someone who is bipolar and found it interesting that she has issues with words as well. Some are wonderful to read, write, type or say. Others are awful and unpleasant to even think. One thing she didn't say was something I do: sometimes a word or phrase will get stuck in my mind and I feel unable to move on. I can't go to the next sentance because I keep echoing the last few words of the other sentance. Also, sometimes I have to focus and concentrate on each word in order to understand them. If I don't focus, by brain doesn't register that I've read the word or phrase and so I don't understand the next chunk of the book. Other days I can read easily and enjoy it.

One thing that I remembered: I used to always have a psychiatrist in my head. He was male sitting behind a wooden desk in an office high up. I was allowed to sit at a chair in front of him or wander around if I needed to. So I would usually look out the window :) I used to talk about everything that was bothering me, and he never gave an opinion, just listened and asked questions. Now I find I can talk to myself and figure out what questions to ask in order to get to the heart of things. I didn't think this was too weird but I see how it can be.

No comments: