Monday, September 24, 2007

Book Review - The Memory Keeper's Daughter

One of my long-standing favorite hobbies has been reading. I have read a wide range of books in my day from SciFi/Fantasy to Horror, autobiographies to mysteries. Right now I'm reading mostly general fiction with a bit of non-fiction thrown in.

I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. This fictional story begins in 1964 with Dr Henry being forced to deliver his own twins. Seeing that the girl twin has Down's Syndrome he gives the child to the nurse to take to an institution and tells no one of his decision. Instead he tells his wife the baby girl died at birth and does his best to live with the choice he made.

The novel is exquisitely written. The imagery is intense throughout, causing my usually noisy mind to stop and quiet down to hear what I read. I loved how each sentence drew me in, keeping my attention and making it so I didn't want to put the book down. I enjoyed how the author told the story from different character's points of view, giving each one dimension. That way I felt like I was reading about real people that I may have met somewhere instead of fictional characters in a book.

This is a book about how a secret can affect a person and how isecrets can have a ripple effect on future decisions. I loved this book and am looking forward to Kim Edwards' next novel.

No comments: