Thursday, October 25, 2007

Book Review - On Chesil Beach by Ian MacEwan

I read this tiny little book very quickly and found it quite frustrating. It's well enough written and all, the book is about a newlywed couple on their wedding night at Chesil Beach. The frustrating part is that neither character in the book was really communicating with the other, so assumptions were made and reacted upon. In real life I have a man that I communicate with so we know where the other is standing at all times. How annoying to read about a couple that doesn't talk about the things that matter.

It did surprise me to realize that there are still people out there that don't talk about big issues or little annoyances. That used to be me in my 'practice marriage' and now I don't see the point in wasting time by guessing how someone feels, now I just ask.

No comments: