Sunday, October 7, 2007

Book review - Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself

I finished the book Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda and was very happy with it. All I knew about Alan Alda's life is that he was on M*A*S*H for so long. I had no idea he did a scientific show or was a guest speaker at many events. The book focused on his speeches that he gave and why he gave them and how he came to say what he said. It was a facintating look into the life of Alan Alda, or at least, a peek into one corner of his world. The book told me a lot about him and how he thought, which is something I find interesting.

One major item that I held from the book had nothing to do with speeches or public speaking. It was that the Equal Rights Amendment was never ratified in the United States. This means that women are not equal to men there. Women can vote...but that can be taken away at any time. Women have the same health care...for now. Why did the country allow for this? Why don't they think of their citizens as equals? I'm from Canada and we are all equal here. It is absolutely inconceivable to me that I would be thought of as less of a person simply because I am a woman. In my mind, the US should correct this mistake immediately. We are all equal to one another, we are all human.

No comments: