Sunday, October 28, 2007

Finally - a psychiatrist!

Finally - a psychiatrist's appointment! When I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder the psychiatrist made it clear that it was a one time only appointment and I would have to go back to my doctor for a different referral. I was on an Up at the time and didn't care, thought the meds would take care of everything. Well, now I find the lithium isn't working and I don't know what to try next. I don't like the idea of hopping from pill to pill but I have to find something that actually works.

I've been keeping a mood chart with S so I will have it all charted and printed out for when I go to the psychiartrist. It will be interesting to see my moods on a chart, to see if they are the same was what I see in my head.

Maybe this psychiatrist will monitor me a bit more closely and keep track of when it's time to have bloodwork done. Right now I'm the one who has to ask for it.

The Bipolar Information Sessions aren't as interesting. The one on medication was extremely informative, but other than that I haven't really gotten that much from it. I don't feel like I belong there either. These people talk about missing work or going on disability because of Bipolar Disorder. I just can't imagine that. I have always been able to manage it well enough that I don't need to disrupt the outside world much. Maybe my BD is not as bad? Maybe I'm better at handling it? Maybe the rapid-cycling makes it easier to deal with?

1 comment:

~Ivy said...

med hopping isnt fun. It took me 3 meds to find the right one.. which is nothing compared to some but i had a horrible reaction with one med.. I hope to not have to change again for a very long time..